What Makes a DUI Lawyer Qualified to Take Your Case?
Select the DUI lawyer who can defend you the best way possible. By following the tips outlined below, you will make sure that the DUI lawyer you select is more than qualified to take your case. This will offer you peace of mind as you go through the ordeal of a trial.
– Ask the lawyer candidate to explain his or her experience. Have they defended people with charges like yours before? Selecting a DUI attorney who will take your case as the first one they have ever defended is likely not a sound decision. A good DUI attorney will have a solid track record in the courtroom as well. Once in a while, you will find a DUI attorney who will sit down and talk with you for free before taking your case. However, do not rule out an attorney simply because they do not offer this service. Attorneys are often too busy to offer consultations.
– With this in mind, do your research. What are other people saying about DUI attorneys? Have you heard of any exceptionally good ones? Make a list of some professionals who seem promising and proceed from there.
– When you do meet with an attorney, ask for a thorough explanation of fees before signing up for representation. You will also want to discover whether he or she will be the attorney working on the case. Some attorney offices advertising on television hand off cases to attorneys with less experience. If this is the case with your DUI attorney, make sure that the person representing you has experience handling DUI cases.
– Ask for copies of any motions as well as regular contact with the attorney. Understand, before you leave that first meeting, exactly how you can contact this person and what you can expect if they are not readily available. Will they call you back within an hour? A day? A week? Make sure you are comfortable with the answer.
– Remember that if a DUI attorney recommends you enter treatment for alcoholism, they do not mean this as a personal affront to you. It looks very good to a court when a person is handling their transgression responsibly.
– Above all, take a good DUI attorney’s advice. They can make all the difference in helping you stay out of jail and retain your driving privileges.